Tell us what Middlemarch means to you in a video (under 2 minutes) and share it with us on Twitter, with the hashtag #MyLifeInMiddlemarch. We’ll choose 3 people to win a signed copy of Rebecca Mead’s My Life in Middlemarch and one grand prize winner to additionally win this beautiful 12 volume collection of George Eliot works, originally published in 1901.
We’ll share the winning videos on this page but, for now, here’s a sample:
The contest begins January 10th, 2014 and ends on February 20th, 2014.
Full terms and conditions:
MY LIFE IN MIDDLE MARCH
Twitter Video Contest
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR TO WIN. VOID OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES AND WHERE OTHERWISE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
IMPORTANT: Please read these Official Rules (“Rules”) before entering the “MY LIFE IN MIDDLEMARCH Twitter Video Contest” (the “Contest”), presented by The Crown Publishing Group, a division of Random House LLC (“Random House” or “Sponsor”). By entering the Contest, you agree to the terms of these Rules.
1. ENTRANT ELIGIBILITY: Contest Entrants (“Entrants”) and Contest Winner (“Winner”) must be legal residents of one of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia and have reached the age of majority in their state of resident at the time of entry (19 or older in AL and NE, 18 or older in all other states). No purchase necessary. Employees, directors and officers of Random House, its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, contractors, agents, advertising and promotional agencies, and the immediate family and household members of each (whether related or not) are not eligible to participate. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Void outside of the United States and where otherwise prohibited by law.
Any and all costs, expenses, liabilities and obligations incurred by entrants and/or the Winner in the making or submission of the Video (as defined in Section 4 below) are the sole responsibility of that Entrant and not Random House.
2. ENTRY PERIOD: The Contest runs from 12:01 A.M. Eastern Standard Time (EST) on January 10, 2014 to 11:59 P.M. EST on February 20, 2014.
3. HOW TO ENTER: NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Digital Entry via Twitter only: Entrants must tweet a Video (as defined in Section 4 below) during the Entry Period, describing what Middlemarch by George Eliot means to him/her using the hashtag, #MYLIFEinMIDDLEMARCH. Tweets that do not include this hashtag and/or do not meet the requirements set forth in Section 4 below will not be deemed entries to the contest.
The tweeted video may be hosted on a video platform of the Entrant’s choosing, so long as Random House is able to view the video via Twitter (Entrants may have to adjust their privacy settings for this to be the case). For example, an Entrant may tweet an Instagram post that includes a video, or tweet a link to a video posted on YouTube or Vine. Random House is not responsible for telecommunications, network, electronic, technical, or computer failures of any kind, or for entries that are delayed by computer transmission. Entries that are late will not be accepted.
4. VIDEO CONTENT ELIGIBILITY: “Video” means an original video, containing the Entrants’ description of what the book, Middlemarch, by George Eliot, means to him/her, that is no longer than two (2) minutes in duration. The term “original” means the Video was newly created by the Entrant, and is not copied, derived, translated, adapted or otherwise obtained or copied from anyone or anywhere else, regardless of the source, format or medium. Original also means that the Entrant, and no one else, has complete, sole, exclusive and unrestricted right, title and interest in and to the Video (including, without limitation, each and all of the underlying elements of the Video) when he/she submits it to the Contest as part of his/her entry AND that Entrant has the right and authority to give Sponsor all of the rights in and to the Video and all its elements that are described in these Official Rules and contemplated herein.
Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any Video that does not conform to any of the foregoing requirements. VIDEO MAY NOT INCLUDE ANY AUDIO TRACKS UNLESS THEY ARE ORIGINAL AUDIO TRACKS CREATED BY ENTRANT FOR THE VIDEO. ANY SUBMISSION(S) WHICH INCLUDE AUDIO TRACKS NOT AUTHORED, ORIGINAL TO AND OWNED BY ENTRANT, SHALL BE DEEMED INELIGIBLE, AND ENTRANT WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. In addition, your Video must NOT contain:
- any content which endorses or condones illegal drug use or alcohol abuse;
- any nudity, profanity or violence;
- any commercial endorsements, unless specifically permitted by these Official Rules;
- any derogatory characterization of an ethnic, racial, sexual or religious group;
- any display of physical injury, death or property damage or conduct or activity that could cause physical injury or property damage or that is reasonably likely to do so;
- any use (or display of use) of equipment, facilities or property in a manner not recommended or permitted by the owner or manufacturer or that would reasonably be considered unsafe;
- any animation, graphics, special effects, audio and/or visual images, content enhancing or illusory mechanisms or any other content that displays, appears to display, encourages or implies that any activity or conduct that is otherwise unacceptable in reality, has been or could have been involved;
- any unauthorized use of a service mark, trademark, brand, copyrighted work or any other property, tangible or intangible, or location or place or that would otherwise not be considered Entrant’s original work;.
- any unauthorized use of a name, person, location, graphic, picture, photo, animation, character, real or fictional, or any other use which may violate any rights of publicity, privacy or any other right of a third party; or
- any other conduct, activity, audio or visual display, language or other content which is or could be considered illegal, in violation of the rights of any other person, company or business or which, in the judgment and sole discretion of Sponsor, is deemed inappropriate for this Contest.
Entrant hereby grants Sponsor, its parents, licensees, successors, assigns, agents and affiliates a perpetual and irrevocable, exclusive, royalty free, worldwide right, title and interest of every kind and nature now or hereafter known in the Video, including but not limited to a) all copyrights therein, b) the right of reproduction of the Video in any and all media whether now known and/or hereafter devised, in whole or in part, c) the moral rights of authors or artists in the Video in whole or in part and d) all rights of reproduction, translation, adaptation, and exhibition of the Video in whole or in part and the right to make modifications thereto and derivatives thereof, in any and all venues or media whether now known and/or hereafter devised and by any and all means or methods.
The use of any system or agent to submit entries in connection with this Contest is prohibited and will result in disqualification. Entries generated by script, macro or other automated means will be void. Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or any website associated therewith; to be acting in violation of these Official Rules; or to be acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any other person and all associated entries will be void.
5. PRIZES: One (1) Grand Prize Winner will receive a rare, 1901 edition of George Eliot’s Collected Works (Adam Bede, The Mill on the Floss, Felix Holt, Romola, Scenes of Clerical Life, Silas Marner, Middlemarch, Daniel Deronda, Spanish Gypsy, Theophrastus Such). Pocket sized 4.4 x 6.7 inches, with polished dark green leather, gilt titles, and patterned endpapers. (Approximate retail value: $500.00) Three (3) Runners Up will each receive one (1) signed copy of My Life in Middlemarch by Rebecca Mead (Approximate retail value: $25.00 per book). Sponsor reserves the right to substitute any Prize (or any portion thereof) with another prize of comparable or greater value, at the Sponsor’s sole discretion.
6. WINNER SELECTION: All entries will be reviewed and judged by Random House (the “Judges”), based on the following criteria: originality, creativity, and their ability to communicate a compelling story. On or about February 28, 2014, one (1) Grand Prize Winner and three (3) Runners Up will be announced. The decisions of the Judges will be final. The odds of winning depend on how many eligible entries have been received.
Grand Prize Winner and Runners Up will be notified by @CrownPublishing via Tweet or Direct Message to his/her Twitter account. The Grand Prize Winner and Runners Up must respond to notification via Tweet or Direct Message within 48 hours of receipt. The failure to respond timely to the notification may result in forfeiture of the Prize; in no event will Random House reserve a Prize for a Winner who does not respond timely to the notification. If a winner notification of the Prize is returned as undeliverable, or if the Grand Prize Winner or Runner Up fails to timely respond to the notification or declines the Prize, the Prize will be awarded to an alternate winner, as determined by Random House, from among the remaining eligible entries.
7. RELEASE: By entering, Entrants release Random House, its agencies and assigns from any liability, damage and/or loss resulting from participation in the Contest and/or the acceptance, use or misuse of any prize. Entrants fully and unconditionally agree to these Official Rules and Random House’s decisions, which are final and binding. By acceptance of any prize, Winners agree to Random House’s use of their name/likeness and tweets, including the Video, for commercial purposes without notification or compensation, except where prohibited by law.
Entrants may be required to sign (a) an affidavit of eligibility and compliance with all of the terms and conditions of these Official Rules, and a comprehensive and complete release from liability in favor of Sponsor, its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, contractors, agents, advertising and promotional agencies of the foregoing, from any and all liability, losses, claims, demands and causes of action, including, without limitation, any personal injury and/or property damage, theft, loss, or any other damage or harm suffered in connection with this Contest, or Video and/or the award, use or acceptance of the Prize and (b) except to the extent prohibited by law or regulation, a promotional release granting Sponsor and Related Parties, the right to use his or her name, voice, image, likeness or other characteristics and attributes for advertising, marketing, promotional and publicity purposes without notice and without consideration or compensation in any and all forms of media and communications, now known or hereafter developed. Entry into the Contest constitutes an agreement to sign all such releases (unless prohibited by law) and all documents required by Sponsor in connection with this Contest.
Sponsor may disqualify any entry and Entrant and select another potential Winner from among the remaining Eligible Entries, as determined by the judges, if Entrant fails to return all of the required documents, unaltered and fully executed, within five (5) days of their transmittal to the potential Winner or Runner Up or otherwise fails to comply with these Official Rules.
8. GENERAL: The laws of the State of New York shall govern the interpretation and enforcement of these Official Rules and this Contest. The courts of the State of New York and the Federal court located in New York County, shall have sole and exclusive jurisdiction of any controversies regarding these Official Rules and this Contest and entrants submit to the exclusive and personal jurisdiction of such courts and waive any and all objections to jurisdiction and venue in these courts, including any objection that the forum is inconvenient.
9. WINNER’S LIST: To get the name of the Contest Winner, send a written request, together with a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: The Crown Publishing Group, 1745 Broadway, New York, New York 10019, Attn: My Life in Middlemarch Twitter Video Contest
10. SPONSOR: The Contest is sponsored by The Crown Publishing Group, a division of Random House LLC 1745 Broadway, New York, New York 10019.